Tullie House Museum and Gallery



When going back home for a while I visited my local Museum and Gallery, Tullie House, in Carlisle. I usually don't enjoy going here because all of the art work which they have on show is really old and I never used to enjoy looking at old work, but since starting university and going to the history of art lectures I have actually begun to enjoy looking at them and the history now interests me a lot.  There was a specific piece of work that I really liked which was painted by Herbert Lees, which is assumed to be titled 'Carlisle Market Place in front of the Old Town Hall' I really liked this oil painting because it shows you how the city looked and its fascinating to see how much it has changed since being painted in 1870-1880. The artist managed to capture the busy bustle of the streets and the people in the city at the markets working, the clock tower and the town hall are still there today too. It really made me think about how different it would have been walking through the streets in them days, you can almost hear how busy it will have been with the bells ringing and the workers working in their stalls. I wish I had the ability to paint cities and landscapes, but I enjoy the curves on bodies and the emotion that you capture in peoples faces way too much. Perhaps one day I will attempt it, I might actually enjoy it, It would also be nice to look back on and see how things have changed. This is the view of the same street now: Image result for carlisle old town hall

Comments