Giuseppe Penone

In the 4D introduction my tutor showed us a video featuring different 4D artists and it included many different approaches to 4D art. On this entry I am going to be talking about Giuseppe Penone:

 Penone was the first of the artists which really caught my eye and interested me massively. Giuseppe Penone is an Italian artist and the piece in which I was shown was of a brass hand holding onto a tree. The cast of the hand was placed on the tree when the tree was rather little, as the tree has grown you can see the growth under the hand and it almost looks as if the hand is squeezing the tree. I really like this piece because of the way that it captures movement- If you saw that in a forest you can practically see the action of the hand, and see the time that it has took for the tree to grow- even though you obviously cant. It really makes you aware of your own existence and aware of time passing by.  I would love to create something that really makes you think about time and how fast it can be taken away from us. Another angle of looking at this is that even when the forest has been and gone, that hand will still remain- A lot like a legacy.



Image result for giuseppe penone

Comments