Bella

I decided for this piece that I was going to attempt something new within my work and take a risk, I have recently been looking at pieces created by Jackson Pollock such as 'Number 23' and 'Number 9A.' Both pieces display such expressive drips and marks which I have found that I always get drawn into when looking at a piece of art. It is not the sheer expression or raw emotions that come with the drips and marks  which scare me a little to recreate, though.
I wanted to create a piece of work where my beautiful dog is the subject- I have been missing home for a while now and I wanted to experiment within my practice at the same time as creating something for my room that would help me feel less far away than I really am from my dog.
Jackson Pollock wasnt my only inspiration to blend these two different things as one- The Stone Roses,  a band which I listen to a lot when walking around my house and playing with my dogs at home has similar and very much so Jackson Pollock inspired art work. For example the album artwork for "The Stone Roses", much like a lot of their work, was created by John Squire. This particular piece titled "Bye-Bye Badman" interests me a lot because it was created with the thought of the May 1968 riots in Paris in mind. The lemons for the O's where placed there because during the riots of 1968 lemons where used as an antidote for teargas, I really liked this idea and I think the lemons influenced the colouring of my piece a lot. Yellow to me also reminds me of happiness and joy, things that I definitely feel when I am with her. Yellow and Purple are the two main colours in my piece apart from the black, shiny fur which I recreated using Indian ink and the soft loving brown in her eyes. Purple, being not only my favourite colour, combines the stability of blue and the fierce, firey tones of red and indicates creativity and peace- a good theme for my bedroom.

I started off by drawing the eyes using Prisma colour pencils and they worked really well. You could really see the love and intensity in them at first, I could almost feel her character actually there with me in the room. Things kind of fell apart a little bit after the eyes and the nose when I attempted to recreate the hair, this is what I meant by 'taking a risk'. I have never been good at drawing animals, which is a shame because I absolutely adore them, I was running out of black pencil and I just could not get the darkness that I needed so I decided to try and use Indian ink instead, I don't think that this went as badly as I first thought it would have, A lot of people I have showed really liked the idea of the thick, expressive brush strokes and I could kind of see what they meant and I feel that Jackson Pollock and John Squire definitely influenced this first risk in my work. The second was me choosing to bring Brusho into the piece as a background medium. I really did enjoy adding this behind her because as I mentioned earlier the two colours just felt right to add to her, this change in medium to me, suddenly made the piece come alive again and once more you could see her personality throughout the piece. To conclude: I am glad that I took a risk within my practice as I feel it has made me grow a but more and feel a lot more confident when wanting to take a risk. I should trust my instinct a lot more, and I shall.

Comments