David Armes

Image result for David armesToday we had a guest artist come in to talk to us about his practice, working with letterpress printing, geography and language. David Armes is socially engaged and sometimes publicly.

Armes began the lecture telling us all how he used to be into music and throughout the 90’s bought ‘Zines’. Many of the Zines in which David Armes bought featured pages on local bands that he was into and often had interviews and alike. This inspiration led Armes to create his very own Zine in which he called ‘Step Right Up’ and design wise it was very clean, clear and had rather a lot of negative space which he liked at the time, I found the use of space boring and it really did not interest me at all. His Zines featured interviews on his friends bands etc…
‘Quiet Loner’ was one of the designs of a CD that he has made himself as well as ‘four channels glowing’ and ‘At Dawn’ I did not really write anything for this lecture because I really was not interested in his work and did not think that writing anything about it would benefit my work at all. I am however interested in his work in america (not what he did, just the fact he saw america)
As much as I do enjoy printed art- for me, David Armes work was not appealing whatsoever and I found it to be bland and rather boring to look at, I feel like recently i cannot enjoy art work that features a lot of text or photography- for me it is really all about the strokes of a brush or a pen- capturing emotions or movement.

I don't think that David Armes has inspired any of my recent works at all, no.


Comments