Brusho

 
I decided to experiment with a set of Brusho that I bought at Rennies Art shop on Bold St.
I feel that experimentation is a rather large part of my practice, this is because I feel that the more I experiment with different things the more I will find out who I truly am as an artist. This piece is a portrait of an elephant which I did in pencil, I then went on to using fine-liners and dot work for the elephants details as I feel that dot work can be a great shading effect and I use it a lot. For the colours I used Brusho- I sprinkled the powder onto a wet page and it bled nicely into the water. Not only did I use this technique but a friend of mine told me to try putting the powder down and then dropping water from a height- this turned out nicely. My favourite part of this piece is the drips and the splashes which i created by flicking my brush on the page, I love how nothing was entirely planned and the freedom which you get with Brusho- Nothing can really be perfect because it is so messy. If I went back and tried this again I would definitely try it with different colours that perhaps portray happier emotions such as yellows and greens. I also saw on YouTube that if you drop bleach onto Brusho it creates a beautiful affect- I cannot wait to try this out.

Comments