4D Piece

For my 4D Piece I decided to to recreate a 'moment' so that you could look at it and see something happening, even though it has already happened. I got this idea after Rory showed us all a piece by Giuseppe Penone where there was a bronze hand gripping a tree and you could see the movement even though it had already happened. This piece sparked some ideas for me and at first I was looking into shadows and how you can only capture a shadow in a photograph because it never really stays the same- so my initial idea was to take photographs of shadows of people in certain situations, then I got a little bit bored of the entire idea and began looking at other moments of things such as; catching something, life, death, laughter, crying and pain... I stuck to the pain idea because I was really interested in finding the right way to capture a scream using pencils or paint- then it came to me that that would look too precise and the lines would not look "painful" at all, so I decided to ask around and my flatmate told me to do a print- which I really liked the sound of.

I decided to take a photograph of myself screaming and then mono-print it onto A4 paper. My mono-print turned out really well and I am proud of the results, I love the way that by mono-printing, the subject (being me) looks stressed and in pain. The use of thicker lines helps you see movement in the piece- which is what I was drawn to in the first place because of Penone. I just wish I spent a little more time on this and did a series of screams instead of just one piece, or even darkening parts of the mouth and face so that it did not look too white, however I do love the result and by adding a distressed black frame I feel that it matches the raw emotion of the piece in which I was going for.

Comments